Logo

Evinrude 50 Idles great but RPM loss under power

obmaniac

Hi - hoping someone here might have some ideas... I have:
Aluminum 16' with console (Bass boat) and Evinrude 50hp 3 cyl 1997 - E50DTLEUR

Last year my Evinrude 50 started running in SLOW mode and sure enough, the water pump impellor was mangled - I can't complain, it did last for almost 24 years. After I put it back together it was running almost fine, would go up to 5000 RPM but then cut out for half a second periodically. I figured its been a while so put new carb kits in the carbs and a new diaphragm kit in the VRO. Ok good, won't start.

Had some help discovering the timer base was bad and after replacing, starts right up and idles along nicely, although one might say it does smoke a little more than normal, although it wouldn't be all that much more different than usual. When in the water though, when giving throttle to get up on plane, it starts out for a second or two like normal, gaining RPM / speed quickly, but then midway through coming out of the hole it loses power. It still comes up on plane but slowly, and maxes out at 4000 RPM rather than the normal 5000 RPM.

Here's an interesting symptom - if I run the boat into the wind on a rough day, the aluminum hull smacks on the waves rather hard. When that happens, the engine will "fix" itself for a half a second or so, going all the way up to 5000 rpm (hold on!), but then right after it goes back down to 4000 again. I don't see this happen when the water is calm, only when the boat is smacking down on bigger waves.

The carb's have been checked and re-checked. I'm concerned the VRO has an issue, but unable to troubleshoot it. I did have the back piece off (the connecting wire is difficult to get free so I just removed the screws for the back portion) - after which I found this on the Internet that says "do not remove"…

https://maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROdrawings.gif

Not sure why really, and that back piece is hard to find information for…

Or maybe its something else on the electrical side. I would rather not start replacing parts until I find the issue but maybe there's no other way?

Ok - got a new VRO (from the local dealer) - installed and engine starts and idles fine, but still have the same issue! Not the VRO then... the problem is consistent, loses power when coming up on plane. I'm at a loss, seems electronic, I could get a new CDI I suppose... but I just hate guessing...

Motors need a new impeller about every 5 years.-----Check all wiring for insulation that may have melted.----Post compression test numbers.-----Test your over heat horn.-----Run with timing light to see if you can find the dead cylinder.-----How much was the new VRO pump ?

Last edited:
I was wondering if perhaps something happened to a plug wire or something along that line - it would make sense... when I take the cover off the motor everything still looks pristine - the wires look new, don't seem to be any nics or roughness that I can find... I've been over it many times but once more wont hurt!

Compression seems awesome when it hits 5000 and it seems to run like new when idling - I'll check it compression Saturday and post all three cylinders though...

Timing light for cylinders! Great idea I'll do that on Saturday as well...

Overhead horn was tested when I replaced the impellor but I can check it again...

Thanks for the suggestions, need to shake a solution loose somehow so much appreciated...

Finally! Compression good ignition good - middle cylinder not firing after 3000 rpm - turns out the center carb gasket was missing! Cleaned up and now runs great! Thought I should post the result here....

Back