Logo

Evinrude 40 hp early 70's recoil starter

crankshaft

Contributing Member
I put this recoil starter back together, but the 3 dogs don't seem to want to shoot out to grab the flywheel slotted flange that is on top of the flywheel.
I have cleaned and lubed all necessary parts and am real stumped. This is the model where the dogs are in the center section of the recoil started body, not 2 on the side like some are.

What is the model number of this early '70's 40hp? Does it have the original recoil starter? Is it the kind where the pawls are pulled out by 3 little springs? If it is, it is reassembled incorrectly. More info is needed to answer your question.

What is the model number of this early '70's 40hp? Does it have the original recoil starter? Is it the kind where the pawls are pulled out by 3 little springs? If it is, it is reassembled incorrectly. More info is needed to answer your question.
YES, I was starting to think that too. Model is 40R75C

I removed the lube with carb cleaner. Here is a ohoto of the recoil starter. I'm thinking maybe I put the flat curved washer that is called a spring in the schematics upside down? ............Can't seem to get photo to post?

Back