Logo

Evinrude 20 (25) HP 1983 shakes when idling

calle

Hi, like the title says the motor shakes when idling, the entire engine and the "bowl" its mounted in and the rig shakes. Shakes the same whether its in neutral, back or forward. Here is a video showing it. Maybe its normal but I dont think so... Any input would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Carl

https://youtu.be/s7D05AOvWxw

Some shaking is normal as the engine sits in rubber mounts. At the very least I would check all of the mounts for deterioration as they tend to separate from their metal mounting plates.

Put a timing light on it to see if there is an ignition miss.----Check the thermostat and see if the motor is actually warming up.-----Turn fuel mixture in until it smoothes out.

Thanks everyone for good advice. I have checked the ignition using a stroboscope its good on both cylinders. I got a tip to check rubber bussings. The ones a can check from the boat are soft but I guess there are some between the "powerhead bowl" and the rig, im gonna check those at the end of the season. Ill check the thermostat aswell. Also I did some adjustment on the low speed mix screw and it runs a bit better and I think it shakes a little more. So thanks again!

Back