Logo

Evinrude 1954 7.5 leaky gearcase

Hello again, and thanks for help in the past. Worked on this rescue motor as an educational project (I had/have no mechanical skills/knowledge). Replaced ignition components, rebuilt the carb, replaced the impeller, cleaned up the manifold, etc. Cranked it and it scared me...started right up! Bad news...gearcase is leaking oil through a small hole in the back...my 1956 5.5 Fisherman has the same hole. Do you think this is a junk housing? Or, are there seals/gaskets to be replaced? I did not find any info on rebuilding the gearcase or replacing parts in the information I had. Thanks agsain for your patience and input.

Regards,

Vic

There are small water drain holes in any lower unit to prevent breakage due to freezing wheather. Are you sure that's gearlube oozing out or could it simply be excess fuel/oil draining down thru the long exhaust housing?

Thanks for the replies. I will try the seal kit. I do not think it is excess fuel draining down...too thick...I am certain the leak is gearcase lubricant. Thanks again!

Vic

I think Joe makes a good point. I'd open the drain plug and see if the dope has water in it. If it's a milky consistancy then I'd do a seal kit. If there's a leak it works both ways, water comes in, and oil comes out.

Your looking at the weep hole which will drain anything that accumulates in the upper housing. Gear oil will usually not accumulate here in this area, but it could if the motor was stored laying down for an extended time.

id run it for awhile and see if it clears up some bgut would check the lube like they said cause you dont want to circulate water and oil mix all around

Back