Logo

Evinrude 15 HP cold start issues

boatbear

Hi,

my 1993 15 HP may have some cold start issues, I'm not sure, though. The problem is that it starts fine (2-3 pulls with choke open) but quickly quits if I don't push the choke right back in. If I'm quick enough, it will idle. If not, it's usually enough to set it to fast idle and pull once more without choke. It will then idle fine, but will refuse to take gas. As soon as I forcefully throttle up, it kind of "drowns" (one cylinder quicker than the other). Once I let it idle for about 30s to 1 min, it runs fine and I can throttle up. Will start 1 pull with no choke once it has run for a bit. It only shows this weird behavior if it's cold. It also doesn't matter how cold it is. I had it start and run in -10 °C / 14 °F in the winter just fine, same as on a hot summer day.
Am I expecting too much? Is this normal? Spark plugs were changed, now it runs "smoother" but the problem is exactly as before.
Any ideas what may be the issue?

Starts in 2 / 3 pulls with choke flapper OPEN or CLOSED.-----Yes they will stall if you do not OPEN the choke once it is running !!

Sorry, what do you mean by *opening* the choke? Pushing it into to in-position or pulling it? It won't start at all if I don't pull the choke initially and then quickly push it back in.

I adjusted the neutral rev limiter to increase the starting rpms and it solved my cold starting problems.

Yeah, that certainly has an influence. I always set the tiller to the shift position or slightly above for starting. Works wonders without requiring permanent idle changes. I need slow idle for fishing.

Back