Logo

enlarging mercarb jets

douglasnc

Contributing Member
Hi again, I've been having issues with my 3.0lx bogging or stumbling while trying to get on plane with my pontoon boat. Read a post where someone had twin 3.0's that were bogging , and after wasting a lot of money at boat shops they enlarged the jet size to 1.60mm with a drill bit (1/16) and fixed their problem on both engines. I tried this also and saw a good improvement . Still bogged a little though. My carb came rebuilt with 1.45mm jets where they were supposed to be 1.65mm. So I'm still .5mm smaller than needed. With this ethanol fuel now days being 15% weaker, more flow to intake is needed on hole shots than with the non ethanol gas. Lots of folks are like me, chasing a bogging issue and may look at this possibility after trying other possible causes. I just know it seemed to help my issue a lot, and I plan to drill my jets on out to 1.60mm as soon as I find the proper bit.

Hi again, I've been having issues with my 3.0lx bogging or stumbling while trying to get on plane with my pontoon boat. Read a post where someone had twin 3.0's that were bogging , and after wasting a lot of money at boat shops they enlarged the jet size to 1.60mm with a drill bit (1/16) and fixed their problem on both engines. I tried this also and saw a good improvement . Still bogged a little though. My carb came rebuilt with 1.45mm jets where they were supposed to be 1.65mm. So I'm still .5mm smaller than needed. With this ethanol fuel now days being 15% weaker, more flow to intake is needed on hole shots than with the non ethanol gas. Lots of folks are like me, chasing a bogging issue and may look at this possibility after trying other possible causes. I just know it seemed to help my issue a lot, and I plan to drill my jets on out to 1.60mm as soon as I find the proper bit.

Sorry, meant to say I intend to enlarge my jets to 1.65mm with proper bit... Thanks for the source for the bits too!

Back