Logo

Engine will not start 2003 5.0

SS BRIDGE

Just opened my 2003 4-WINS, Volvo-Penta 5.0 Engine.
Clean start each spring for the past 7 years, only worked done, starter and bilge pump, tune up, oil, filters....

Crank was slow, charged battery, starter is new (1 year)
replaced gas filter.
Just cranks, but seems like the motor is hanging up or just not free cranking. Checked for water in the oil, (NONE) pulled a plug, have spark (plugs dirty but seems to be moisture free! ) Cranked it to death with the starter fluid and nothing, It sounds like it wants to start but just will not kick !

All suggestions welcomed before I commit to the mechanic ....

Re: Engine will not start

have you dropped a few drops of gas straight down the carb? or liquid fire starter, fan of that myself. That might give you enough crank to pull the fuel out of the line. did you treat your gas at storage, and is it a full tank? if the tank is near empty try putting a few gallons of fresh gas in along with some fuel stablizer.

my next guess would be the rotor, and might as well throw fresh plugs in too. But if you are getting spark.... and the spray starter didnt work, maybe it really is bad fuel, with no stablizer in it, it wouldnt last the winter.

Unfortunately the un stabalized scenario goes like this...
Ethano laced fuel sits...
Temp goes up and down sucking moisture laden air into gas tank
Ethanol "eats" the moisture in the air.
Repeat until the ethanol gets "overloaded" with water.
Then the water saturated ethanol separates out and sinks to the bottom of the tank.
You crank engine, it's fuel pickup is in bottom of tank so it picks up and pumps water/ethanol mixture into engine
Engine won't start or run on this...

Short test for this is a few drops of gas down the throat of the carb per post #4 and/or disconnect fuel line before filter (replace it first) and connect a small outboard motor external tank with fresh gas in it.

Back