Logo

engine swap

i have a 1984 3.0 omc with a stringer outdrive, is it possible to change the 3.0 out for a 4.3 omc? the adapter housing has 2 ports for a v6 but one is covered with a rubber cap.

motor will fit yep, but the drive got to be changed to a 800. What year motor ?

Also the bell housing that might have to be changed out also.

Also the motor mounts are different will your stringers allow for the different mounts?

You might want to just keep the 3.0 / 140.

Can i ask why you want to change out the motor just want more power?

i have a 1984 3.0 omc with a stringer outdrive, is it possible to change the 3.0 out for a 4.3 omc? the adapter housing has 2 ports for a v6 but one is covered with a rubber cap.

and if you remove that rubber cap and poke down the pipe with a long stick, you will discover that OMC did not put an exhaust shutter in that unused side. So any V6 or V8 adaptation requires you to remove and disassemble the intermediate/bellhousing flange and install a water shutter in the starboard side.

4.3 is a tricky swap, because there is no coupler to mate a stringer drive to later engines (after 1986). That leaves you 1 model year of 4.3 to search for (mid 85 - to mid 86).... and good luck finding that amidst a sea of later 4.3's with the "wrong" crank.

Back