Logo

Engine Stalls when shifted into gear

ParagonTrojan

I have twin Chrysler 400's with Velvet trans and V drive. 1 motor will idle fine and rev up ok. When shifted into gear the rpm drop off and it stalls. I am very inexperienced with mechanics but have had some help so far. This is what I have done:
-Fuel filters
-fuel pump (mechanical)
-Coil
-Distributor cap and rotor
-plugs
-Rebuilt carb (could not locate new metering rods)
-Compression test is good
The engine definetly runs smoother now but still drops off when placed in gear. Vacuum guage indicated low vacuum. Tried advancing the timing and it does improve but can"t seem to advance it enough.(turned all the way). Adjusted carb settings but the screw on the right had 0 affect on vacuum. The motor did overheat badly last year but ran ok afterwards.

Anybody have suggestions for me? I am at my wits end

Thanks

...."Adjusted carb settings but the screw on the right had 0 affect on vacuum."

There's your answer. Either that side is not getting gas, or the carb is flooding.

Jeff

1. Compression test is good

2. Vacuum guage indicated low vacuum.

3. Tried advancing the timing and it does improve but can"t seem to advance it enough.(turned all the way).

4. Adjusted carb settings but the screw on the right had 0 affect on vacuum. The motor did overheat badly last year but ran ok afterwards.
  1. This is good to hear.

2. Where is the Vacuum guage being connected?

3. Keep in mind that for every degree of change to the BASE advance, you'll create an equal degree of change to your Progressive and Total Advance.
    This can become very dangerous for the Marine engine.

4. Jeff nails this one.

HMMM...I connected the vacuum guage on the carb side of the choke pull off. Before rebuilding the carbs I swapped the carb from the port side. Maybe I should try that again. Really appreciate the help guys!

HMMM...I connected the vacuum guage on the carb side of the choke pull off. Before rebuilding the carbs I swapped the carb from the port side. Maybe I should try that again. Really appreciate the help guys!
If in doubt, pull your vacuum from beneath the throttle plates.

Swapping carburetors from a known-to-be-good one to the other engine is a great idea.
Be sure to install new base gaskets.

I have twin Chrysler 400's with Velvet trans and V drive. 1 motor will idle fine and rev up ok. When shifted into gear the rpm drop off and it stalls. I am very inexperienced with mechanics but have had some help so far. This is what I have done:
-Fuel filters
-fuel pump (mechanical)
-Coil
-Distributor cap and rotor
-plugs
-Rebuilt carb (could not locate new metering rods)
-Compression test is good
The engine definetly runs smoother now but still drops off when placed in gear. Vacuum guage indicated low vacuum. Tried advancing the timing and it does improve but can"t seem to advance it enough.(turned all the way). Adjusted carb settings but the screw on the right had 0 affect on vacuum. The motor did overheat badly last year but ran ok afterwards.

Anybody have suggestions for me? I am at my wits end

Thanks

Could there be something caught in the prop or prop shaft that's binding that side up? My neighbor goes offshore quite often, and a few weeks ago a big mess of rope got caught in his props and killed both engines dead. He had to dive under the boat to free up the mess.

Thanks,
JJ

Back