Logo

Engine Oil for 1987-88 270hp Crusaders?

FastFred

I recently purchased a 1988 24' NorthCoast with twin 270 HP 350cid Crusaders. I have the owners manual from Crusader, and it recommends straight SAE30 SG/CC in the winter, and SAE40 SG/CC in the summer.
Because of the year they were made, I'm not yet sure if they have flat tappets or not. In any case, I'm looking for engine oil recommendations. Also, should I also add a zink additive?
Also, is it true that its ok to use a later type of oil such as SM or SN? What does the "CC" mean?

For the lkife of me I can't understand why Crusader manuals say to use a straight weight oil. THe best thing to happen to engines is the invention of multi-weight oils--thin when you fire up (easy on the pump, and eaasy on bearings since the oil gets to them sooner) then thicker as the temperature comes up (to maintain oil pressure).

I don't know if your motor has roller lifters or not, but you can't go wrong with Shell Rotella and a shot of Lucas Break In oil (ZDDP--half a bottle per motor).

Jeff

PS: In my old autocross race car, I ran straight 5o weight oil (for some dumb reason). Motor made 90 pounds oil pressure 'til it warmed up, and it went through oil pump gears like crazy! Doh!

Jeff

PS:

Highly likely you ahve flat tappets.

Like Jeff Said, you can't go wrong with a modern multiweight oil....though they don't get thicker as they warm up. We've been using 15W-50 for years (and 15W-40 before).

The API rating system says the newer (SM or SN) rated oils are "backwards compatible", so a SM oil "supercedes" a SG oil. (turns out not to be completely true but at a very low level of detail.) The zinc additive surely won't hurt anything.

The API system uses a two letter code; the first is S for spark ignition (gasoline) and the C is for combustion ignition (diesel). the second letter gives the performance grade applicable to the oil...search on API rating to learn more details.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying Rotella SAE30 and splitting a bottle of Lucas break-in sedative between the two engines. The 30 wt. is for the low ambient temps I expect during the upcoming striper season... typically early morning lows in the 20's or 30's. I'll put in SAE40 next Summer.

Back