Logo

Engine doesn't crank

Kirdud

Good day, captains! I own a Monterey 282 with two petrol Volvo Penta 4.3 engines. The starboard (STBD) engine sometimes has an issue with starting. The ignition turns, but when I push start, only the volt gauge moves, and nothing happens. After several tries, which can be anywhere from 5 to 50 attempts, it eventually starts.

Here’s what has been done so far:
  • New batteries
  • New start button
  • New starter
  • Positive cable from the main switch to the starter
  • New wire to start directly from the solenoid to the button, excluding the relay
  • A lot of time spent by electricians who have not been able to detect the issue
Any ideas on what else it could be? Will be grateful for any thoughts.

There is a relay ( a.k.a. a solenoid or contactor) usually located on top of the engine. This relay is energized when you try to crank the engine and in turn this relay supplies +12V to the starter. Typically this fails more often than the starter itsef. I am assuming that by now any issues of poor connections have also been resolved.

There is a relay ( a.k.a. a solenoid or contactor) usually located on top of the engine. This relay is energized when you try to crank the engine and in turn this relay supplies +12V to the starter. Typically this fails more often than the starter itsef. I am assuming that by now any issues of poor connections have also been resolved.
As a mechanic explained to me, he excluded the relay and connected the wire directly from the solenoid to the button.

two more items you can check:
1) the neutral safety switch...ie make sure the shift lever is in N... & 2)
As a mechanic explained to me, he excluded the relay and connected the wire directly from the solenoid to the button.
Not always a good test....the wiring thru the harness to the dash and back to the solenoid typically won't handle the current required to close the solenoid consistently...and its alway prudent to verify the ground connection at the remote starting relay...

I usually check that relay by shorting together the two large connections ( typically on top) with a screwdriver.

Your starter solenoid will have 3 posts. 2 heavy duty and a smaller one. One of the heavy posts is connected to the starter motor and the other to the battery + cable. The small post is the control circuit to energize the starter solenoid. Internally in the solenoid is a plate that contacts the two heavy posts, allowing power to the starter motor. Normally the plate is held away from the contacts by a spring. When energized, the solenoid electromagnet overpowers the spring and allows contact.
To test the starter solenoid run a wire from the heavy post where the cable from the battery attaches to the small post, sometimes marked with a S.
This will cause the starter to run if all your connections are good.
The reason you push the button 50 times is either you have a bad connection in the positive or ground wiring or a contact, probably in the ignition wiring, that is pitted, but eventually makes contact. When checking connections, check the ground, too.
Once you sort out the starter problem, reinstall a relay for the start circuit. The reason it's there is so the current doesn't have to run to the control station and back. With the relay the length should be about a foot. Otherwise you will burn out contacts in the ignition switch or start button.

Attachments

• starter & solenoid_sm2.jpg
    starter & solenoid_sm2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 9
  • starting-system-works.jpg
    starting-system-works.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 14
Back