Logo

Engine dies at 2700 rpm

flabob1

Regular Contributor
I have twin 2005 Yamaha 150 HPDI engine. At Idles the left engine runs a little rough at 600 -700 rpm. Advancing the throttle ( out of gear ) just over 2700 RPM drops and will shout down if not returned to idle .Thinking it is a fuel problem I have changed the fuel filter ,fuel lines and removed the check valve at the tank and it checks ok. The right engine runs ok . I assume that the tank vent is OK. Any Idea what's not happening above 2700rpms . Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Chris; Thanks for the info. Is that the small can like filter on the top left side of the engine. It's called a strainer P/N 68f24251-00-00. I hate to spend the money on the wrong part. Thanks again

Cut the oetiker clamp off, DO NOT damage the short high pressure fuel line as it is very expensive, Remove the filter and blow thru it. You should be able to breath thru it unrestricted. Yes Breath. If you cannot Breath/blow easily thru it, replace it. The other side of the filter is a mechanical connector. Push the line onto the filter, pus the retainer away from the filter while pulling the line off of the filter.

Replace the oetiker clamp with the same clamp. A pair of dull dykes can be used to squeeze the clamp if you do not have the tool or a pair of tile nibblers will do.

Last edited:
Sound great. I will try doing it today . I went ahead and ordered two new ones. It's been going on 3 years ,about 200 hrs. séance they were changed. I found them on eBay for $72 and on Amazon for $78 but the best was $58.00. Thanks again for your help . I'll post when I get the new ones, hopefully with good news. Bob

Replaced all filters but the one in Vapor Chamber .Stll does the same . Drops RPMS at 2100 and almost cuts out. Did all I could now. Having a Yamaha mechanic coming out this coming week and put the computer on it. Will post on what he finds. thanks for the past help

Chris; The engine was checked out today and he checked the fuel pressure and it checked ok. What he did find was the o2 sensor was not putting out any voltage. On his return he will try a new sensor ( $$$ ) or try to clean the old. Another week with out fishing.

Back