Logo

Engine Cooling When Out Of The Water

sandmannn

"While reading a boating magaz

"While reading a boating magazine,in the TECH information section,the question was asked "Can I run my 18hp Yanmar diesel from a hosepipe coupling at the top to supply the engine with cooling water from a pressurized hose" The answer given was "A pressurized water supply should never be used to feed the raw water pump of an engine equipped with a water cooled exhaust system. Applying even a low pressure supply of water to the raw water pump creates the risk that the water will flow through the pump when it's not operating,or deliver an excessive flow of water if the engine is operating slowly. Either condition can fill the exhaust system with water,which can back up into the exhaust manifold and enter a cylinder" The advice is to allow the engine to draw water from a container. My question is -- is this information correct,and does it also apply to my 270hp fresh water cooled crusaders? Thank You."

"My experience is that the ave

"My experience is that the average 'garden hose' won't supply enough water to keep a raw water pump happy. My solution is to remove the belt from the pump and remove the outlet hose from the pump. The 'garden hose' is then inserted, via an adapter, into the cooling system. In essence, the 'garden hose' provides the same function as the raw water pump.

If getting to the belt and hoses is too difficult, you may want to try the bucket approach. Remove hose from the thru hull and insert into clean bucket. Monitor the water level in the bucket and keep it at least half full. Don't run the engine above idle rpm...those pumps have a lot of capacity and you don't want to run the pump dry."

"ditto. I can run a hose full

"ditto. I can run a hose full on into the strainer (top off) and the engine RW pump starts sucking air over 1000rpm. I do still flush that way, however, just keep the rpms low. I've found it to be a coarse test of the state of the impeller as well.

ps; I think the engine off warnings are targeting hydro lift mufflers. Mostly sailboats."

"My method of running the twin

"My method of running the twin inboards on the hard in the past was with the garden hose hooked to a toilet plunger (no laughing here) that was covering the water intake on the underside of the boat.This worked very well but was a real PITA to turn on & off and change to the other engine.I saw the picture of your method Mark,liked it,then read about water getting into the motor & figured I had better check with the experts.Thanks for the replies guys and easing my mind!"

Patrick -
I used the "to

Patrick -
I used the "toilet plunger" adapter last year and it worked great. What I got isn't actually a plunger but it looks like one w/ a hose connection. Just suction it to the bottom of the intake and adjust the pole to the correct height.

I have since added the Groco SVS which sits on top of the seacock. This serves as an emergency bilge pump(s) using the engines plus I can fresh water flush/run with the hose hook up.

I won't run past idle using either method.

Bob

Back