Logo

Engine alignment 3.0 1994 Alpha I gen II

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I just refitted my engine after replacing the transom plate and I can't seem to get the engine to align, however far up or down i go with the front adjustment.
It gets very close but will not align properly.
I also replaced the Gimbal bearing when I had it all apart. I notice that with boats I have had in the past, i could put the alignment tool in the gimbal bearing and move it about but this one seems to have a fixed axis. Is this correct? It is a Sierra Gimbal bearing that it has fitted and I aligned the grease passage up with the housing. There is a round indent on the face of the bearing which some sites said had to go at the top(12 o'clock position) but that would have meant that the grease passage would not have lined up.
Any help greatly appreciated as I have spent way too much time on this boat and the cups of tea from the wife seem to have stopped too...which tells me something!!

Let's start with an understanding of what the alignment consists of.

The point at which the rear engine mounts hinge (i.e., axis) differs from that of the center of the gimbal bearing's center axis.
In order to align the propeller shaft splines (yes.... this is a propeller shaft) into the drive coupler splines, the front of the engine must be at the correct elevation.

The gimbal bearing itself sits within a hemispherical housing, which allows the actual inner bearing to articulate in a 360* fashion.

Take a look at these images. Hopefully they will help explain the alignment procedure.

Attachments

• Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 216
I also replaced the Gimbal bearing when I had it all apart. I notice that with boats I have had in the past, i could put the alignment tool in the gimbal bearing and move it about but this one seems to have a fixed axis. Is this correct? It is a Sierra Gimbal bearing

Ayuh,..... Bein' new, it's stiff,.... Use more force, it'll swivel,....

Back