Logo

engine acts funny after lengthy run

Portis Left

Contributing Member
i just got this motor running like a champ by the advice of good people on this forum. last saturday before leaving the lake i decided to take a longer run to use up some of the gas i had purchased previous sessions and never really got to run out.

MY PROBLEM IS: after a 12 to 15 minute run (almost wide open) i dropped into a no wake zone at my ramp and noticed it was running "different" but didnt quit.
the dock was crowded so i set up in a holding pattern and just turned it off and we sat for say 8 to 10 minutes. at that point it would not idle, crank, function whatsoever without using the throttle lever. about never got it on the trailer. was luck i finally got the "drop the throttle lever and get a gear"
technique to work. was running wonderful before. runs great now. but am i doomed to never making longer runs? what could be going wrong with this thing?

Maybe you picked up some water from the old gas? Ethanol fuels don't do well under prolonged storage, and year-old gas without stabilizer might have broken down, or sucked in a lot of water, if it was in a vented built-in tank.

If in a sealed portable tank, a year is still a long time for non-stabilized alcohol fuel. I'd say different if it were non-alcohol, stabilized; I've left stabilized non-alcohol fuel in my weedeater, in the shed over the winter, and she started right up in the spring. Do that with alcohol and you'll be throwing the weedeater away!

You might try draining the carb(s) and see if you get anything nasty of of 'em. Pump some clean fuel thru the system to purge it of old stuff.

Failing that, back to basics, check plugs for proper firing, etc etc etc. Check the carbs for any weeping out the throat, which could indicate a leaky float needle or maladjusted float level. Pull the plugs, check for water intrusion, deposits, etc.

I'd be more inclined to think it's fuel-related, but you never know with old motors!

why wouldn't the water just burn away with the gas on its way through? my gas is a mixture. the first time I got any I got pure gas. after that since it had problems I just got cheap gas. but either way.....its only maximum 3.5 months old.

..."...wouldn't the water just burn away with the gas on its way through"

I call it the 'White Gook' and, no, it will not burn (and no known additive will change that). Since it goers right through filters and separators, the only way to get rid of it is to pump out and flush the tank.

Here's what it looks like.

Jeff

Attachments

• Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 26
If you can get water to burn keep it a secret until you get the patent. If your saying it runs good now after it has fully cooled down do a complete service on the cooling system. How old is the thermostat/s and impeller? Do you flush the motor after each use? Keep us posted.

Back