Logo

Electrical issue

island_boy

Contributing Member
Have a 1972 Skipjack 20'. Just installed a inline GM 165hp engine. First time out ran great, stopped and started fine everywhere I went. Last harbor I stopped at I went to start my engine and nothing. When I turn my ignition key on my gauges and dash lights power up. This time I had no power at my switch or through my switch. I jumped my starter to selenoid and it started and I had power at my switch and started it after shutting it off a Few times. Took it home and cleaned all my electrical connections and replaced a few also. Took my boat out 3 times since and had no problems. Where ever I stopped to fish it would start up, power to swich every time. Last week took the wife for a long cruise, and boat ran fine. Shut off engine and had lunch in a quiet cove,drifting. Ready to leave and boat started up just fine. Drove about 100 fet and boat engine quits, like I turned off the ignition. Had no power at ignition switch, as lights and gauges showed no power. Jump started from selenoid to starter and engine started up and I made it home. Even shut off engine and started it with no problems. What could be causing this periodic problem with no power to switch? Help or suggestions please.
Thanks........Island Boy

no expert here by any means , but i do have a suggestion...is it possible that there is a bad connetion or short in the batterry terminals? or perhaps a short in the battery switch? it sounds like its somewhere in the power supply...just sayin , hope ya find it....dimitri

Yes, maybe the cutout switch. I have a 68 20', I believe and need the wiring schematic if anyone has a copy please, full rebuild here with a straight 6.

Yes, maybe the cutout switch. I have a 68 20', I believe and need the wiring schematic if anyone has a copy please, full rebuild here with a straight 6.
Ayuh,..... This thread is 11 years old,..... Start a thread of yer own, so that yer problem can be found,....

Back