Logo

electric starter 1990 Evinrude 15hp

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have a 1990 15hp Evinrude with electric start. Starter good. I grounded the neg. from the battery and tested the starter button and don't get any juice from the pos. wire when pressing button so its bad I guess. Question can I just by pass the neutral safety switch and install regular solenoid and start button and hook It up with a standard start button like I do on 18hp motors and by pass all the starter equipment that is there. Thus making it just starter button to start it. New buttons are $60 and I have regular button and solenoid.

As long as you're using a solenoid to carry the heavy voltage, yes. Obviously you've performed that feat before.

if you bypass the neutral safety switch and allow the motor to start in gear you are making a mistake...a 15 hp will still throw you overboard and you are near the spinning prop when it happens usually..

if you bypass the neutral safety switch and allow the motor to start in gear you are making a mistake...a 15 hp will still throw you overboard and you are near the spinning prop when it happens usually..

Yes, quite true! Scrufffy... with your knowledge, it wouldn't take too much more effort to incorporate that safety switch. Let us know how you make out.

Back