Logo

Electric Fuel Primer

tigershark

Contributing Member
"I have a 1995 88HP Johnson an

"I have a 1995 88HP Johnson and I suspect that the Electric Fuel Primer may be bad inside and is possibly leaking fuel into the manifold. The motor runs a little rough at idle. I also had a no-start at sea, had to get towed in, then at the dock I turned the primer level to prime then back to run position, pumped up the primer ball once or twice then the motor started????? lol

I may need to rebuild the electric primer.

Any advice or experience with the primers?"

"my experience,has been they r

"my experience,has been they r very trbl free,except for cracked cap,and lking gaskets...i cant rem ever repl one,due to a bad solenoid assm...could happen,..just dont think ,i have."

"the manual states that a faul

"the manual states that a faulty/leaking spring or valve will induce a no-start and possible rough idle, hesitation and stumbling an overhaul of the primer would be necessary"

"Tigershark,
Trace the hose f

"Tigershark,
Trace the hose from the primer to the manifold , disconnect it and run the engine if you see fuel leaking like you suspected then your theory holds water.
If not you may be looking at faulty or carbs that needs to be cleaned or service .
JB is right ..Trouble Free little device here .."

"Andrew makes a good point, bu

"Andrew makes a good point, but if you do see fuel shooting out the hose it could also mean that the solonoid is being powered due to a problem with the ignition switch or some part of the circuitry.

Turn the engine off, disconnect the purple wire at the solonoid, and squeeze the primer ball. If fuel still comes out the hose, the valve is not sealing."

Back