Logo

Easiest way to remove trim/tilt unit - 1987 50HP Johnson J50TLCUD

larry29936

New member
I'd really like to overhaul the trim/tilt system because the trim cylinder has a piece of black neoprene (part of a seal?) showing around the shaft at the top of the cylinder and the tilt isn't coming all the way up. I'd like to rebuild both cylinders but the bolt thru the top of the trim cylinder is rusted and frozen. Also, the electrical connector to the pump is frozen and won't turn. Can anyone provide some guidance on how to proceed seeing as the engine is on the boat?

Thanks in advance
 
Can you post a pic of this unit ??

Here you go Boobie:

trim-tilt pump.jpg

This picture shows the pump and tilt cylinder. The trim cylinder is on the opposite side of the engine.


neoprene showing at top of trim cylinder.jpg

This is a picture of the top of the trim cylinder with neoprene showing around shaft
 
That bit of "neoprene", if I'm not mistaken, is what is called a "wiper", designed to keep the shaft clean of debris... a seal of sorts made of flexible nylon. The actual seal, at least on other models of that year would be a "O" Ring in that same trim head a short distance distance below that wiper.

Although it's a touchy situation on hydraulic and electrical components... rusted, frozen parts demand a hand held propane torch, pencil or blow torch tip, depending on the area to help loosen and avoid breakage of whatever you're trying to remove.
 
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I've decided to leave well enough alone. I bought the motor on a 15' Henry O for $1500 and they pair well together even though the hull is rated to 80 HP. Last time I was out she did 30 mph (GPS) in light chop.
 
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I've decided to leave well enough alone. I bought the motor on a 15' Henry O for $1500 and they pair well together even though the hull is rated to 80 HP. Last time I was out she did 30 mph (GPS) in light chop.

Yeah, I agree.... a fix it when I must scenario.
 
Back
Top