Logo

DT200 year identification and lower unit

R.Eriksson

Hello, i have a Suzuki dt200 outboard with electronic fuel injection. is it any way to tell the year of the engine? i tought it was from 1994, but cylinder head shows 98. Another question, is it the same lower unit on all twostroke 200? engine number is 20002-971243

Regards Rickard.

Any other numbers after DT200 ?-----Looks like a 98 or even a 99 to me-----But find ---browns point marine-----Long time Suzuki dealer.----They will know.

Thanks for the replys! I could not get that link to work thought, i will look on boats.net 👍 thanks. This engine has been sitting for about five years, what do you guys think i should check? I will change plugs is there anything else on this motor?

Drain the VST of old fuel if any
Drain any old fuel from tank
Replace lower unit oil
Plugs as you mentioned
I’d suggested you replace the impeller at the very least. Best would be to put a new water pump kit, comes with everything you need to start out with a brand new water pump.
Oil mixing system?
Check for corrosion in all wires and connections throughout.
Do you know any history of the engine? Maybe a compression test right off the bat?
Not very familiar with 2 strokes, maybe a squirt of oil down the plug holes prior to starting?

I’m thinking not. It appears the crack goes through the case. You’ve got a seal that would sit in the middle of that crack and I doubt you would get a seal. Any damaged parts on that transmission that need replacing are going to be a challenge finding. “No longer available”. I’d be inclined to look for a used lower unit on the used market. @racerone would have way more experience with evaluating the damage and repairs if possible than me.

Freezing climate ?------To me it looks like motor was tilted up am froze resulting in a crack.------I would take this thig apart for complete evaluation.----A shop experienced in this type of repair is needed.------No point welding the damage and " looking nice " when the housing is distorted.

Back