Logo

Drive Shaft Journal Lubrication 1979 AQ140

yerg

I have a 79' Volvo Penta 280T outdrive on my AQ140c. I just replaced the Sealing Rings and Bearing on my primary drive shaft and I'm ready to put the upper transmission back in place but not before I've greased the Drive Shaft Journal until the grease shows through the bearing, I'm told. I find that the grease nipple isn't a zirc type to fit my grease gun.
I've unscrewed the cap (item 66 http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742840-44-15806.aspx) and I can't figure out what the procedure is?
Is there a special tool involved or what? Thanks for educationg the uniformed.

Re: Drive Shaft Journal Lubrication

Yerg, apparently your Flywheel Cover is one that has been machined for 3/8" NC threads for the old style cap type/squeeze fitting.
I would abandon this!

This can be removed and re-threaded directly with a 1/8" Tapered Pipe Thread tap (you do not need to drill the hole any)...... (be sure to remove the aluminum debris best you can)

Now you can install a standard 1/8" Tapered Pipe Thread zirk fitting.

The PDS bearing cavity must be "pre-fillied" with a good high pressure bearing grease (preferably NOT green marine grease) as the PDS is rotated....... (rotating this purges air out).

When you see new grease come though the ball cage, now you can install the AFT-most seal!

In the future, grease this with the enigne running! (dynamic -vs- static)

Thanks alot Rick. Since I didn't bother to prefill, I better pull the shaft again and prefill using high pressure grease instead of the green grease I was going to use. I'll refit for a standard zirk fitting to aid in the finish grease packing. Thanks again for the tip. I stopped in at the local marine parts and service shop and they didn't have a clue even with the exploded assembly drawing I brought along.

You can pre-fill the cavity by adding grease now.... bump the starter motor as you do this until you see grease come through the ball cage.

Just don't mix un-like greases....., it will have an adverse affect if the two are not compatible (they can turn into a liquid substance).
If you began with the green, it's not a complete deal breaker! Just continue with the green.

Note that the AFT-most seal installs in a "non-conventional" direction. We want this seal to breach any holding power that would be greater than the FWD-most seal!
If we loose the FWD seal (as in blown out by grease presssure)....., no future grease will make it through the new bearing!

Amazing that the shop did not know this!
I would avoid these guys for any AQ series Volvo Penta work!

Last edited:

Thanks again, this means I won't have to borrow a snap ring pliers from a friend at work. There's no grease yet so I'll get some of the high pressure type. It is a little hard to see the seal direction in the diagram so I will be carefull to get the orientation right.

The local marine dealership is mainly selling new boats and standard service work. My real service is done by an authorized Volvo Penta guy who is 40 minutes away and has never let me down. He said bring the boat by and he'd help, but pulling a small houseboat takes a little effort.

Back