Logo

Dp-c1 to dp-e question

Schoorthing

I am looking to buy an outdrive. I currently have a dp-c1 1.95. Can I install a dp-e 1.95? Is a dp-e an older of newer outdrive? If possible what would be the pros and cons? I found a dp-e at a reasonable price but I would like to stay with the dp-c1 if possible. Does anyone know of a reputable shop that I can purchase a rebuilt/reman from? Thanks!

I am looking to buy an outdrive. I currently have a dp-c1 1.95. Can I install a dp-e 1.95? Is a dp-e an older of newer outdrive? If possible what would be the pros and cons? I found a dp-e at a reasonable price but I would like to stay with the dp-c1 if possible. Does anyone know of a reputable shop that I can purchase a rebuilt/reman from? Thanks!

OK..... a somewhat lengthy explanation is needed!

In order to withstand the diesel engine torque, Volvo Penta needed a stronger lower unit gear set, but without sacrificing the over-all reduction target.

In the DP lower gear unit, we have three gears....... one "drive" gear and two "driven" gears.

The 2.30:1 DP lower gear unit uses a very small "drive" gear (much less gear tooth contact at any given time)
The 1.95:1 DP lower gear unit "drive" gear is a bit larger (more gear tooth contact at any given time)
The 1.78:1 DP lower gear unit "drive" gear is the largest, and consequently the strongest due to the greater gear tooth contact.

The DP- E transmission has a different and unique gear reduction...... it actually further reduces the reduction.
For example: when the E transmission is used with let's say a 1.95:1 lower gear unit, the over-all reduction is very close to the targetted 2.30:1 over-all reduction.

So...... if you plan to purchase a DP-E complete drive, look closely at the combinations that may have been used!
Also, the exhaust outlet is a bit different!

The C drive uses the long vertical shaft coupler.
I don't recall at the moment..... but the E may use the short coupler.

Ok thank you for the info, I would rather stick to the dp-c1 anyways, why complicate things! Do you sell rebuilt drives or recommend anyone who does?

Back