Logo

Done with the 470

Reddman

Hi all,

I have had it with the 470. Blew head gasket this spring & having a hard time finding a replacement. These things are expensive to work on.
I know the 4.3 engine runs the same gear ratio, but does it need to be a Mercruiser or can it be an OMC? Going to start looking for a donor boat with a good motor. My outdrive may only have 10 hours on it since it was replaced just before the engine took a dump.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reddman

the head gasket is standard Ford 460 truck head. Head gaskets blow from an overheat, same thing with the v6 or any other engine. Fix the overheat first.

I know the 4.3 engine runs the same gear ratio, but does it need to be a Mercruiser or can it be an OMC?

Ayuh,.... If you expect anything to line up, or hook up properly,....

Ya, you need a Mercruiser dressed motor,....

I was going to fix but after opening up the engine it would need a complete rebuild, & there are many reasons why these engines short lived.
What I am hoping for is to find a donor boat with a complete good engine. Maybe one that fell off a trailer or what ever else that us boat people dread other than sinking. My hull has bow to stern stringers, so putting in new mounts should not be a problem

What I am hoping for is to find a donor boat with a complete good engine. Maybe one that fell off a trailer or what ever else that us boat people dread other than sinking.

Ayuh,.... The #1 reason a runnin' boat becomes a donor boat is rotten transoms, 'n stringers,.....

Back