Logo

Distriutor change

I have twin 1978 270 crusaders with pint style distributors. I am changing to Prestolite idu7801B with B.I.D. Electronic ignition. They have two leads, a purple and a black. Can I just swap out and hook the purple to positive, before the balist resistor and black to negative on the coil? Or do I need an E.S.A. Module" and what is an E.S.A. Module?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ESA = electronic shift assist; only applies to I/O units - NA for your inboards...

Most electronic ignition kits DONT use the ballast resistor - follow the installation instructions for expected results..

The distributors are used as take offs and don't have installation info with them. Did not come with coils so that is why I figured on leaving balist resistors in place. My understand of resistor is to drop voltage to cioil to 9 volts approx. that is why I figured purple lead on the input side of resistor to get full voltage.

Thanks

The purpose of the resistor is to limit the current flow thru the primary side....a by-product of that is the voltage reduction....

I don't have any factory data for the prestolite BID setup....a www search revealed a CDI instruction sheet and several unfavorable comments on their reliability (the BID setup)....being as you don't have the coils and there isn't much documentation, I'd say you have to resort to trial and error or do more searching on the internet...

Guess I should play the mega-lottery.....

Found a decent descrition of the BID system though for a Ford...I'd bet its highly applicable to your situation.

Too big to post - send PM with your email address and I will mail this evening

Got the info, should help. Says that at resistor is not needed, so I will remove and see how it works. Will let you know what happens.

Back