Logo

Disassembly of 2003 Mercury 3.3 HP

Paul3.3

New member
As a project I'm disassembling a 2003 Mercury 3.3 hp outboard. I'd like to know how to break the connection with the emergency stop control. It looks like there is a fuse in the line but I don't want to yank on it until I know the correct approach. Any help appreciated.
 
What is your engine serial number?
Do you have a service manual for this engine model?

The stop switch was either Merc 87-823037A01 or is 87-823037A04

The following is of A04 for a visual of design, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=87-823037A04&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&_odkw=87-823037A01

See/click item number 14 for the A01 type,

#1487-823037A 1EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH ASSEMBLY (1 required per assembly) SN# USA-0T879554/BEL-0P325499 & Below
87-823037A 1 - SWITCH ASSEMBLY E  - Replaced by 87-823037A04
87-823037A 1
87-823037A 1 - Switch KIT-STOP [ More info ]
Unavailable
SWITCH-STOP 87-823037A04
87-823037A04
About Mercury Marine
OEM Part
87-823037A04 - Stop Switch [ More info ]
Add to shopping cart$71.92
Available to Order: Usually ships within 10 days.
#1487-823037A04EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH ASSEMBLY (1 required per assembly) SN# USA-0T879555/BEL-0P325500 & Up
 
From the images you provided it seems that the wire should separate somewhere in the middle of the covered portion. Is that how you see it? I've attached an image of the component I'm trying to separate.
 
Looks like the file did not attach, I'll try again.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20241019_123903252 (Small).jpg
    PXL_20241019_123903252 (Small).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 48
What is your engine serial number?
Do you have a service manual for this engine model?

The stop switch was either Merc 87-823037A01 or is 87-823037A04

The following is of A04 for a visual of design, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=87-823037A04&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&_odkw=87-823037A01

See/click item number 14 for the A01 type,

#1487-823037A 1EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH ASSEMBLY (1 required per assembly) SN# USA-0T879554/BEL-0P325499 & Below
87-823037A 1 - SWITCH ASSEMBLY E  - Replaced by 87-823037A04
87-823037A 1
87-823037A 1 - Switch KIT-STOP [ More info ]
Unavailable
SWITCH-STOP 87-823037A04
87-823037A04
About Mercury Marine
OEM Part
87-823037A04 - Stop Switch [ More info ]
Add to shopping cart$71.92
Available to Order: Usually ships within 10 days.
#1487-823037A04EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH ASSEMBLY (1 required per assembly) SN# USA-0T879555/BEL-0P325500 & Up
Thank you, these images were very helpful. It was clear that it could be disconnected.
 
Thank you, these images were very helpful. It was clear that it could be disconnected.
You’re welcome… glad it helped… how about the other questions I had regarding the engine since it seems you are going deep into the engine to where it would be best to have all the necessary informational guidance at hand as you go should you not have it already? and would like any help in knowing how to obtaining it.
 
You’re welcome… glad it helped… how about the other questions I had regarding the engine since it seems you are going deep into the engine to where it would be best to have all the necessary informational guidance at hand as you go should you not have it already? and would like any help in knowing how to obtaining it.
Thank you for your continued interest.
Backstory: Motor was running fine when put away last October. When attempting to start this spring the pull-cord was "lumpy" (stick-release) and there was an unpleasant noise. Discussed with my local small-engine specialist and his opinion after my description and listening to an audio recording was "unrepairable" or at least uneconomically repairable. Rather than just throw the motor away I decided to disassemble the motor as a project.
Youtube yielded some partial information but not enough to follow step by step. Regardless, I tracked down the Workshop Manual and I may be able to carry on.
I've attached a photo of the motor plate but am not allowed to attach the audio file.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20241020_134547688 (Small).jpg
    PXL_20241020_134547688 (Small).jpg
    156 KB · Views: 145
0T244827 comes up as an 2003 3.3 [M] Model number 1003201AK
Parts Group: 2/2.5/3.3HP
2-STROKE
Options: Manual start, short shaft (15”/381mm) driveshaft housing, Tiller handle steering, Model style: M.

Here's your parts link if needed,

And as you found, Merc service manual part number 90-44477-1.

 
Thank you for your continued interest.
Backstory: Motor was running fine when put away last October. When attempting to start this spring the pull-cord was "lumpy" (stick-release) and there was an unpleasant noise. Discussed with my local small-engine specialist and his opinion after my description and listening to an audio recording was "unrepairable" or at least uneconomically repairable. Rather than just throw the motor away I decided to disassemble the motor as a project.
Youtube yielded some partial information but not enough to follow step by step. Regardless, I tracked down the Workshop Manual and I may be able to carry on.
I've attached a photo of the motor plate but am not allowed to attach the audio file.
likely needs a new spring in the starter recoil
 
That is precisely what I did and that is exactly what happened. The only question now is just how much of a loser. I'll finish the disassembly between now and the New Year.
 
Good luck and if you would like any pointers just get in touch I’ve serviced and rebuilt loads of them. Does it make the graunching both in neutral and in gear?
 
Back
Top