Logo

Dis donbt look good

martino1

Regular Contributor
"Anyone out there ever seen th

"Anyone out there ever seen this before? Went to replace waterpump on 1990 225 Johnson. When I dropped the lower unit, a piece of metal, about 3" square with ragged edges, dropped into the LU from above. The starboard bottom motor mount cover is broken, due to corrosion inside the mount? After looking inside the midsection, I realized that the back-side of where the mount goes is cracked in several places, and I'm guessing the piece came from that area. Here's the question. Can the mount and cover-plate be replaced w/o replacing the midsection, or would cracks behind the mount cause major issues? (exhaust leaks, etc.?) Your help is appreciated"

"Update on this. No one seeme

"Update on this. No one seemed to chime in here, so here is what I found out. Marine salvage yard said severe corrosion of lower motor mounts is not all that uncommon. Suggested replacing the mount so that it doesn't do more damage. Half day job removing the mount without doing further damage. The mount looks like the internal metal starts corroding, and then it expands damaging the mid-section case. The broken piece I found came from the area above the mount. I will be re-attaching it with JB weld, as this area does not look all that critical. If the lower mounts on your engine look severely corroded, you may want to replace the mount before it cracks the case on your engine."

Back