Logo

Diconnecting choke on a 95 sportwin

kirk

" I have a 73 Evinrude 9.5 spo

" I have a 73 Evinrude 9.5 sportwin.
A month or so I wrote in about a problem with having to run full lean on the slow idle adjustment screw at full throttle to achieve top speed. with advice from guys at this forum I found the motor mount to be broken allowing the motor to twist and pull on the choke linkage.Repairs of tearing apart the case, welding,replacing the mount and reassembly are outside of my ability and too expensive to have done by a professional in comparison of a new motor. The motor runs great otherwise and It seems like a waste to just throw it out.
My question is this:If I disconnect the Choke linkage other than for starting is there any other significant problems this would cause? And would this be a sufficiant fix for this problem. "

You could disconnect the chok

You could disconnect the choke set up as it is and install a primer type set-up as found on say a 1988 20 hp JOHNSON.Or just remove the hood start it with the choke and than put the hood back on.You could also change the length of the choke rod so that it does not pull on at full throttle.

Sparky
I have considered bo

Sparky
I have considered both of those options. It sounds like no big deal to use this as a fix so I'll give it a try thanks for the reply.

Back