Logo

DF50 (2007) no start

prishi

In the Spring of 2022, New York, the sailboat`s engine was brought to full normal and continuous repeated starts after clearing pee hole and changing oils and water pump. The exhaust water pressure valve was also replaced due to build-up of silt. After starting, boat couldn't go in the water for other reasons. This Spring, engine would not start and gave a Exhaust Manifold Temperature Sensor Alarm (beep sequence) upon putting Ignition Switch to On. The Exhaust Manifold Temperature Sensor was replaced. Upon moving Ignition Switch to On,this alarm is now gone. Moving switch to Start does not crank the engine. I hear a very soft hum of a motor for about 1 or 2 seconds and then nothing. The sound is so faint that with the engine cover it would be barely audible. With the cover off, it can be heard slightly. It comes from the Left top area of the engine. Yes, the Starter is not cranking but this motor comes on for a second every time I turn Ignition to Start position. Both Batteries show good charge.

What could this be?

Thank you.

IMG_5841.jpeg

From a 2009 DF90A service manual.

Check all wiring connections for corrosion, pull them apart and check for corrosion including the wires at the battery posts, they should be shiny and tight. If your batteries are old and have been frozen they could be your issue even though they show +12V, if in doubt have them load tested. On my 2009 engine I have 3 fuses, a 15A, a 30A and a 40A, I’m assuming you’ll have the same fuses. Neutral safety switch is worth checking. Ignition switch and kill switch could also be acting up. The hum your hearing is likely the high pressure fuel pump pressuring up the fuel system.

Selffixer.com has service manuals(pdf) for $12, I couldn’t find one for your exact model but it appears that there is a couple that might help with troubleshooting.

I had to take assistance of someone who knows engines more than me. There was nothing wrong with the engine but the Gear Shifting Cable was bad. The engine would start in Neutral and would engage the propellor into Forward or Reverse, but since the cable was broken, it could not put the gear back into Neutral. Since the engine was no-longer in Neutral, the engine interlock refused to let it start. Presently he left the gear in Neutral and the engine starts every time. I am now looking for cables so that they can be replaced (both Remote Throttle and Gear Shift cables). Thank you very much for your troubelshooting guidance. It really helped us diagnose and think straight. Your help was invaluable, I must say.

June 11th Engine Stopped Again!
  • Since repair on May 23rd, boat batteries kept on 'Shore Power Cable' to keep both batteries on Charge through boat's Guest charger.
  • Engine started for 5 mins every alternate day to check if running OK. Each time heard One Long Beep when Ignition put to On, no other alarms, then upon cranking, engine started every time on the 4th or 3rd cranking.
    • No telltale discharg (pee- stream) ever, or maybe one drop every minute, never seen more.
      • Last season someone checked and cleaned 'most of the discharge passage' (whatever he could reach) to telltale discharge and cleaned crud around water exhaust pressure valve and renewed the pressure valve.
  • Boat splashed yesterday and engine was started to move to boat's mooring.
    • Before start, we observed 12.5v on both batteries.
  • After running for 10 - 15 minutes, the Engine stopped running!
    • Had to drop anchor and call for tow and tied it to mooring.
  • We tried a re-start by cranking after a minute of wait, but could not start after 6 - 7 cranks and gave up to save battery.
  • After 10 mins of wait again, we re-tried, on first cranking it started but died after 30 seconds the engine died again. No Alarms, except for long beep in Ignition Switch in On position. Both newly renewed Throttle and Gear-shift cables looked good. There were no alarms - no low battery alarm, no high temperature alarm, nothing.
  • The one thing that I defintely noticed was that there was no Jet of Water coming out of the pee-hole in the back.
Any discussion is appreciated! Thank you.

The first thing to figure out is it dying due to fuel starvation or losing spark due to ECM shutting it down or poor/corrosion in a wiring wiring harness. Starts fine and as the engine warms up it dies and won’t restart until it cools down a bit certainly could be electrical.
When it dies does it sputter and die or is it like someone hit a switch and off instantly?
I’m ASSUMING your fail safe warning system is working so if it was an overheat you should get an alarm but not having a strong pee stream isn’t right. When was the impeller last changed?
I’d inspect all electrical connections for corrosion, pull everyone apart including your battery leads and check.
This is going to be a process of elimination so take your time and be thorough. A genuine Suzuki service manual would really help you, suggest you get one.

@William01 Thank you once again! The engine is not sputtering but dies suddenly. I did not have any alarms therefore I too am assuming that the fail-safe is working, more so, becasue (a) Exhaust Manifold Temp Sensor was changed last month and before the change I was getting High Temp alarms, and (b) when the broken shifter cable was discovered last month, the engine would not start since the gear was pushed into a non-neutral position but could not be pulled back, therefore, the engine would not start up. However, yesterday, it was not the cable as the engind did start the second time after a 10 min break and this time it started almost on the first or second cranking.
The impeller & water pump was renewed last summer and the boat was not run after that. Only probably 20 minutes of engine time, but I have to investigate why there is no tell-tale. Thank you.

I hate intermittent electrical issues. Kill switch issues or associated wiring?

Worth a read.

Back