Logo

Delco EST timing not advancing

mako72

Took the boat out and ran fine cruising 3200 rpm at the end of the day I opened it up and barely gained from 3400 to 3800 where it bogged and sounded like it backfired out exhaust. Throttled back to cruise and ran fine. 2001 5.7 vortec Marine Power. 233 formula center console. When I got home I checked if the timing was advancing and it idled at 8* but only advanced to 12* while revving. manual calls for 26* total. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What type of distributor: pure electronic advance, or centrifugal advance? If the later you can usually find the culprit and fix it with an inspection and a little tinkering. If the former.... Oh boy!

Jeff

Thanks for the reply it is purely electronic advance. Delco Est I think the advance is controlled by the module. Yesterday I swapped the module for an automotive module just to see if it would advance ( just used for test) and only advanced a few degrees also. Any ideas of what could be the cause of timing not advancing. Thanks

First off...... isn't this your thread also in the Marine Power Engine Forum?

What type of distributor: pure electronic advance, or centrifugal advance? If the later you can usually find the culprit and fix it with an inspection and a little tinkering. If the former.... Oh boy!
Jeff
Jeff, thread title is Delco EST timing not advancing, you silly guy! :D :D
I agree on the Oh Boy part!

This system will/may have sensors that will put the advance into a safe mode when certain data is receieved..... or lack of data! I am not sure!
IOW, it may not necessarily be a module related issue.
See your trouble shooting section in the OEM service manual.

Have you by chance left the system in BASE Mode?

Last edited:
Ditto Rick's last question!

The other question is "how" you are measuring (determining) the advance obtained?

The EST setup has all of the "advance" solely in its module.

Back