Logo

Cylinder cracked

jwhite

" I have a 1994 Johnson 115 wi

" I have a 1994 Johnson 115 with a cracked cylinder #1, but no damage to the cylinder wall. The crack is at 10:30 if you look at the cylinder as a clock. The compression rate on all cylinders is 125,125,125,75. I was wondering if I could run this engine for the rest of the summer. If I do will this cause more damage or just loss of power? What would the parts cost to repair this cylinder? Thanks for any help "

" JW.... I'm at somewhat o

" JW.... I'm at somewhat of a loss to comprehend your statement. A cracked cylinder is a cracked sleeve which is a cracked cylinder wall.

I understand the 10:30 location of the crack and am wondering if you're speaking of a crack existing between the exhaust ports, and if so, is the crack in the steel sleeve or the aluminum casting surrounding it.

The difference in compression of 50 psi (I assume the low reading is #1)would indicate that the crack is at the sealing surface of the sleeve and/or the aluminum casting. If this is the case, water will enter that cylinder causing destruction of the entire engine.

I can't speak for others but I'll need a more detailed explanation of this cracked cylinder before giving an opinion.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Sorry What I was meaning to s

Sorry What I was meaning to say is the pistion is cracker the cylinder wall is fine. This cylinder has be bored out before 30 over. Must of been a monday. Thanks again

Back