Logo

Crusader 454 tune up

sqrlnut

Hello all,
I am the new owner of a 90 Luhrs with crusader 454s and am looking to do a full tune up. i need to replace 1 fuel line (but will do both) to the carburetor i plan on replacing with flex line. I'm not sure what ends it needs, what length to get or specific brand recommendations
i D/L the manual that was recommended but there are no fluid requirements listed for the tranny or motor. i guess what i'm looking for is what do you guys use, i.e fuel filter, oil, oil filters (and amount), plugs, plug wires and distributor, and anything else i should know or do.

for the fuel line, a Sierra 18-8114 or 18-8115 depending on the length you need. The factory steel line is fine but can be a PITA.

The OEM recommendation on oil was SAE 40 weight 30 years ago...technology has changed what is needed and what is available. I use 15W-50 mobil 1 full synthetic...many use the quicksilver (20W-40) oil as well...pretty much any decent brand name should do you well. I prefer WIX filters.

For the gears, depends upon which one you have...if it is the inline BW gear, I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF...the spec calls for DEXRON...(and any 'flavor' of that should be fine).

Plugs - I use NGK or ACDELCO

Plug wires - probably best to buy a spool and the boots with a crimp tool and the ends and make your own...on the cap (& rotor) - make sure you get a marine rated cap vs an auto version...

Probably worthwhile to put major kits in the raw water pumps (unless shown it occurred recently) and make sure the zincs are changed...probably good to drain and flush the closed cooling as well...

Hello all,
I am the new owner of a 90 Luhrs with crusader 454s and am looking to do a full tune up. i need to replace 1 fuel line (but will do both) to the carburetor i plan on replacing with flex line. I'm not sure what ends it needs, what length to get or specific brand recommendations
i D/L the manual that was recommended but there are no fluid requirements listed for the tranny or motor. i guess what i'm looking for is what do you guys use, i.e fuel filter, oil, oil filters (and amount), plugs, plug wires and distributor, and anything else i should know or do.
Do the fuel lines attach to the tank and pumps with hose clamps or the fittings on the lines in the first reply? Whichever type of line you buy, make sure it's rated for use with Ethanol.

I would recommend buying cap/rotor/wires that have lifetime warranty. Also, assuming the oil filter is Pennzoil PZ3 equivalent (you can stay with Mercruiser filters, but I haven't seen anything showing them to be superior to other brands), you might consider using an AC-1218 or equivalent- it's about twice as long and will remove more from the oil during its lifetime. I only used them in my pickup and only use the longer version of the smaller diameter filters in my vehicles for the same reason, not so I can go longer between changes- the cost is the same as a short filter.

What color is the oil in the transmissions, reddish, or definitely brown and what so you smell from it? If it smells like motor oil, it's probably 20W, but look in the boat's manuals and on the transmissions for a metal tag. Are they Borg Warner, or Hurth, direct drive or V-drive?

Do the fuel lines attach to the tank and pumps with hose clamps or the fittings on the lines in the first reply? Whichever type of line you buy, make sure it's rated for use with Ethanol.

I would recommend buying cap/rotor/wires that have lifetime warranty. Also, assuming the oil filter is Pennzoil PZ3 equivalent (you can stay with Mercruiser filters, but I haven't seen anything showing them to be superior to other brands), you might consider using an AC-1218 or equivalent- it's about twice as long and will remove more from the oil during its lifetime. I only used them in my pickup and only use the longer version of the smaller diameter filters in my vehicles for the same reason, not so I can go longer between changes- the cost is the same as a short filter.

What color is the oil in the transmissions, reddish, or definitely brown and what so you smell from it? If it smells like motor oil, it's probably 20W, but look in the boat's manuals and on the transmissions for a metal tag. Are they Borg Warner, or Hurth, direct drive or V-drive?

got the fuel lines and carb done, started doing the gauges, the next issue is the boat needs to be out of the marina by the 29th so i'm kinda rushing its sea worthiness LOL. I'm looking for someone to bring it from Oceanport to LBI the Captain i had cant do it now. i digressed,,,, so i want to get a set of extra belts and was wondering what you guys use or keep?

Back