Logo

Cranks but Wonbt Start when Warm

puzzled

" Any suggestions on where to

" Any suggestions on where to start? Compression is good in all cylinders. Gas going to all as Carbs rebuilt at begining on the season. My 1991 Evinrude 115hp VRO starts fine at the dock and runs excellent. Once I shut it down (and fish awhile - Engine still warm) it won't restart. Engine cranks, Gas to the cylinders and I assume spark to the plugs since I have tested and got spark to jump back at the dock. Once the engine cools the engine restarts fine. This has occured the last 2 times out.
Sounds electrical. Could this be a power pack problem? Suggestions on what and how to test? "

"Puzzled.... It sounds like th

"Puzzled.... It sounds like the stator under the flywheel is cracked and/or melting down. One function of the stator is to supply voltage to the powerpack, which even a faulty stator will do when cold (it will eventually fail altogether).

When hot, a faulty stator develops a voltage drop which fails to energize the powerpack. You will more than likely need to remove the flywheel to inspect the stator properly. Be sure to torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds when reinstalling.

Be prepared to check the spark when the engine fails to start. The spark (with the s/plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.

You may also have a intermitemt shorting ignition switch. To test the switch, remove the "black/yellow" wire from the back of the ignition switch.... or at the powerpack. If the problem vanishes, replace the ignition switch. Note that with that wire disconnected, you will not be able to shut down the engine via the ignition switch.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Update: Well, when you are

" Update: Well, when you are right your right! At the suggestion of a local mechanic I replaced fuel line and primer bulb. Took the boat out to see if problem persists. Started like a champ. Ran it down the river for about 10 minutes at 4500-4600rpms. Throttled down to turn around and engine died. No Spark to plugs. Back at dock an hour later no spark. Back at home an hour later still no spark. I am planing to replace the Stator and Power Pack as both are 1991. At least I'll have a spare power pack if I find the Stator is bad. "

Back