Logo

Crack hose

botaman

Regular Contributor
Folks,

Please take a look at the picture. Am I in trouble? Does this hose has to be fixed right away? The small crack flexible hose is right next to the big exhuast hose. I have no clue what this is. Please, I need all your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 92
That is the short shift cable BELLOWS.

If not changed your boat will take on water and possibly sink

Last edited:
Yike! I better act on it right away don't I? Thank you Kghost. How big of a job is to remove the shift actuating cable in order to slip the the boot in anybody know? Or should I bring it to the mechanic?

I have done front axles boot on cars but this stern-drive business is total new to me, I'm a big time new-by.:D

I will to do some searching for DYI in the mean time. But if anyone can tell me how, I would greatly appreciated.

If you have no idea on how to do this I would reccomend bringing it to someone who does.

The cable might be able to be reused or maybe not. The routing if the cable is critical.
The set up and adjustments are somewhat difficult and can be confusing.

Some one who knows what there doing should be able to do a short cable boot/cable replacement in about 2 hrs, You maybe a day.

no offense but just the reality

Thanks Kghost,
Is there a DYI some where to replace the bellows? Does it require the removal of the out drive? Can someone tell me what it take to replace this bellows in a quick steps? Thank you all for reading.

It also takes a specialty deep socket to remove the cable from the gimbal housing and usually the cable gets damaged in the process, so you are better off to replace it.. It is critical like they said to set the cable adjustment correctly and also to make sure the boot is on securely or you will sink your boat in about 15 minutes.

Damn! that's a lot of work for a stupid boot. Thank you guys for your inputs, I will be reading the manual and see if I can figure how to replace this thing.

Back