Logo

coupler problems

mrwalleye

I can`t seem to keep a coupler from failing. Engine alignment seems fine. Have been told bent flywheel, crankshaft dampner. bad motor mounts. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

You doing alot of trolling ?

So how is the alignment ? #1 cause for coupler failure, or saltwater hitting the coupler.

You always getting on it ? Your just hitting the throttle down all the way like putting the " peddle to the metal " ? Just asking, need more info.

The transom rotted, rear mounts could have fell down. But then we are back to alignment.

What part of the coupler is failing? The rubber donut or the splines inside rounding off? If it is properly aligned after installing a new coupler then the engine is moving when torque is applied. Could be front mount rubber failing, soft stringers, soft transom, rear mount parts improperly installed.
Something is allowing the engine to twist out of alignment.

For your consideration, splines on drive insert into the splines on the coupler. Spline grease is used to take up the void, most use regular grease.

1-So consider this , if the splines on the drive still good ? If yes then there must be another reason.

2- Alignment or water entering the splines. I would have bet that you would have already posted that the motor was submerged past the coupler.

Troubleshoot have someone else drive the boat. You watch the back mounts and front mount as you hit waves slow and speed up.

I have to say this i never have seen a warped flywheel, i seen em rusted, no teeth abused like you never seen but warped ?

Maybe the guy doing the alignment doesn't know how ? What do you think the guy doing it knows how ?

I lost one on my Bravo III last year. I learned that big boats that spend a lot of time trolling are hard on couplers. I had mine replaced with a stainless steel coupler available through Mercury. The stainless steel coupler is supposed to help resolve the issue.

Back