Logo

Corrosion

f300k

What is causing corrosion at #

What is causing corrosion at #1 exhaust port on the block of my AQ125a ? I have fixed for now with JB weld and guess I need to look for a head

"I think it is # 1, might be #

"I think it is # 1, might be #4. It is the closest to the stern, back of the engine. I heard what sounded like a valve tap, when I looked closer I could feel exhaust coming around the manifold. Removed manifold and there was corrosion on the head. I cleaned it and built it up with JB weld. It is working for now but I don't know how long it well hold under that kinda heat. But that doesn't fix the cause."

"You are referring to #4 exhau

"You are referring to #4 exhaust port. Since it is the closest to the "riser" side of the exhaust manifold, it is also the most exposed to water. The head is made of aluminum, so it corrodes easier in that area than around the other ports.

To repair the damage, some people tig-weld the area to rebuild the port, while others use steel inserts."

"I have a 120 b that had the s

"I have a 120 b that had the same issue. I had the port welded by a machine shop since I don't have access to an aluminum welder, and it has been fine for three years. Seems to be a fairly common problem as it is the most exposed to water, as EL said. Cost me 30 bucks!"

Back