Logo

Corrosion on gimbal housing 2000 270 Sundancer Twin 4.3s

Robby270

New member
We have corrosion on the top portion of BOTH engine mount/gimbal assemblies. It is literally coming through and out of the Merc label. Looks like metal shavings... A mechanic we know says it is common and don't worry about it. I don't see how leaving corrosion is such a good idea...
Cause? Is it truly common? I believe the cure will have to involve a wire brush. Is it common to have to drill out the cover plate? If so - what metal plate/ gasket do I cover it with? Thank you anyone for your info - we've only had the boat a few months. image.jpegimage.jpg
 
Last edited:
Most likely corrosion from the inside from water getting past the seal . Is the steering arm rusty or have white crust on it? Thats a sign of a leak .I would reinstall the missing grease fitting to prevent this from happening.A easy job to do .I have a video on it using a GEN II housing. No need to remove the drives or anything .
Hit the housing with a wire brush to remove the corrosion. and spray with some Black epoxy appliance paint.
Should you go thru google JR Bravo repair. I just installed 2 on a twin engine from electrolosys damage .
I would tape the plate to the housing to locate the holes and not use the paper template , drill and tap 1 hole, install the bolt, then diagonally drill and tap and install the other corner bolt, then locate and drill the 2 remaining bolt holes.No need to open the transom to install the plates.
Verify all the bonding wires too ,outside AND inside the boat
 
BT Doctor... Do you have any experience or an opinion about "conversion coating" products in salt water applications?
 
Back
Top