Logo

Cooling problem on 5L engine

ghostrider_four

I just had to pull my engine and change some seals and gaskets. Now I have one side of the motor that is running cool and one side that is barely spitting any water out and getting hotter than the other. The engine is not overheating, but I have always been told that you should be able to lay your hands on the top of the water bellows. I can on one side but the other is getting hot. What could be the problem???????

You mess up running the hoses?

One side always runs hotter. Are you posting about the relief holes under the bel housing when running on a hose.

The port spits the starboard runs more water from the relief holes.

And a little comes out thru the prop. That's normal if that's what you have.

Yeah a little out of the prop. Checked the hoses, they are all good. One side runs good water out and the side that is getting hot is just barely spitting water. any ideas?

flapper fell down? Gaskets put on correctly? Right gaskets ? But you say the motor isn't overheating, that true when running it on the water?

Ghost do us all a favor put up a general location maybe someone here can come over and look at it.

I lost count how many times i came over to look at motors. It's a hobby i don't charge.

Sorry, I am in Kansas around the Fort Riley area. Gaskets are on correctly. I had a mechanic come and help me get those on so that they would be right, plus I didn't want to pull the distributor out by myself so he helped me do that part. The temp gauge is saying I am not overheating, but the left side water coming out you can put your hand under. It is hot, but normal. The right side is twice as hot and I can barely put my hand under it. I have checked everything I can think of. What is this flapper you keep mentioning? I took my bottom end of the drive off to check the pump and make sure I got the hose for the water pickup connected good. All is okay there to include the impeller. Could there be air locked in that one side preventing it from getting enough water? I had a friend that put a crate motor in his boat and he said it did the same thing with the muffs on it, but as soon as he put it in the water it sucked enough water and cleared it up. I am open to any and all suggestions. I do not want to overheat and ruin a good motor. Thanks

The "flapper" or exhaust shutter is located at the top of the "Y" pipe. It prevents backwash water from entering the engine. How old are the manifolds and risers? One side may be plugged w/scale and rust which restricts the water flow. Feel the side of the manifold and then move your hand upward to see where the hotspots are located. The gasket between the manifold and riser may also be damaged. Using an infrared temp. gun will tell you exactly where the hot spot is located.

The thermostat hsg. may be partially plugged. If it has a "T" on top of it one of the check balls may be sticking.

Back