Logo

Control Handle Change

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
2003, sterndrive, Merc. 350, Bravo iii, fuel injection. I replaced the control handle, merc. gen 2 pistol grip with with trim control on the grip, bc the neutral lock was worn out.

Before, when turning the key to from off to start position 1 fuel would prime the injectors/engine, start position 2 would fire up engine.

now,
when turning the key to start position 1 "No prime." I have not tried to start bc of no water connection to engine, I will re-test with water asap.

did I blow a fuse or trip a C/breaker somewhere?

maybe control arm somehow not in neutral?

maybe a bad kill switch as I had to un-assemble and re-assemble to remove from side mounted faceplate of control arm and is currently installed now?

Thanks in advance.

ok, agree, the 2 switches involved, Stop/kill switch that connects to a landyard and the Neutral lock & push button release on the control handle.

I am trying to determine if I have blown a fuse or the control arm assembly is not aligned with the assembly It attaches to, with regard to neutral being aligned. boat should not start if not in neutral.

so maybe is the question is:

is there a fuse inline before the fuel pump or the part that primes the engine when the ignition key moves from stop to start position 1, before starting the engine.

thanks

engine serial number might get a link to a manual, see if there is 12v at the red or orange wire at the key switch, then check the purple wire for 12v with the key in the "on" position.

I checked fuses all good.
I removed lanyard switch and replaced with a temporary single pole switch and it solved he problem, everything works.
new switch is on order.

Thanks

New Control Assembly to fix a worn out neutral lock has been completed, also new Lanyard kill switch was installed.

Lots of fun trying to hold the Throttle control housing assembly in place thru a 4" dia hole with zero clearance while adding assembly parts that reduce the clearances to nothing.

lots of duct tape, string and patience. here are pictures of the worn part, you need to purchase the entire control arm to get the small worn part. Old part was metal new part is plastic.

Back