Logo

Control box

I should explain what I need. My 75 hp Mervury outboard has a control box that the operator pushes a button at the bottom of the lever which allows forward motion of the lever to control the engine RPMs. The cam inside mine is worn out so I can't high idle the engine to warm up. I've been told that this is very common and I should replace it with a newer model. There has been a few that I've researched but without having it in my hand I can't know if it will work. I'm looking at a Mercury control box with the high idle lever separate from the main control lever. Does anyone know if I use my cable ends and splice the electrical wires if needed would this work? I'm not rich so it's a little hard to order one in for approximately $400 to $ 500 on a hunch. Any help would be greatle appreciated.
Thank you;
Bob

Could you post a pic of both to we have a look at what you are considering,and on another note,I would think that a replacement cam would be available somewhere

Could you post a pic of both to we have a look at what you are considering,and on another note,I would think that a replacement cam would be available somewhere

The mechanic at the boat shop tried to find one and unfortunately my boat is still under snow in my yard (I live in north central BC). As soon as the snow is gone I'll take some pictures.

FYI: call Mercury @ 920-929-5040 they will tell which control box will adapt to your motor. Most of them range up to 3~5yr from your model number. It’s either going to be a Commander 2000 or 3000 series and you can find them on EBay or Craigslist all day. ($30~$100) some with complete harness and cables. **Good luck***

Back