Logo

Cobra SX drive R & R seal replacement 1983 4.3 L

rholling424

New member
Gentlemen, I have a '98 4Winns with 4.3L V/P and Cobra SX outdrive. I need to remove the lower unit for some housing repairs (Lake Oconee in SE GA grows new submerged rocks every year LOL). Once the TIG weld repairs are complete are there seals I should replace before reinstallation?
 
Re: Cobra SX drive R & R seal replacement

Heat travels fast, most times i take the drive apart so seals don't melt.

They make a skeg that fits over your damaged one.
 
Re: Cobra SX drive R & R seal replacement

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll fully diassemble. Mine's salvageable. I have a fabricator who is a wizard with heat. In fact he can TIG a broken heart!
 
Re: Cobra SX drive R & R seal replacement

If he's good he can make up a heat sink. If all your doing is the lower, then i would just disassemble the lower.

Measure the play, treat all shims like they are gold. You should be ok.

Careful of the bearings.

If you want you can replace seals now if you take it all apart. If you want. Pm me if you decide to replace seals. I can pm you some tips.
 
Thanks again, Chiefalen. I'm always appreciative of tips. If I don't nick, kink or stretch the rubber o-rings, are they good for reuse? My '98 has +200 hrs of ski/cruise use.
 
Back
Top