Logo

Clinton Outboard Question

"thanks, found one I could ben

"thanks, found one I could bend to fit.....now a real problem...I have had the powerhead off to fix the waterleaks and have used the motor since reassembling it. Now all of a sudden when you shift it into gear the prop does not turn. It feels like it it is engaging at the handle but the prop doesn't turn and the waterpump does not start pumping....what did I break now.....tks"

"Graham l I tried to email yo

"Graham l I tried to email you to get a copy of the manual for my m/w clinton 7hp K700. It rejected saying your email is shut down,,,,If you could I would love to have a copy.

Thanks
Darwin"

There were a few different typ

There were a few different types of neutral and I have no references for you motor however if you would like the generic repair book I can direct you there.

"never mind the prop not turni

"never mind the prop not turning, I thought the waterpump wasn't working, got my magnifying glass out and noticed it was pumping water so checked my shear pin, yup, broken...thanks though"

"I have a montgomery ward sea

"I have a montgomery ward sea horse 6hp, model #VWB19074A, cannot find a model year guide for this motor."

Looking for a fuel line to fue

Looking for a fuel line to fuel pump fitting for my 1970 7hp J700 Clinton / SeaKing or a way of retro-fitting.

I just came into possesion of

I just came into possesion of a Clinton made Sea-King 9 hp engine. The guy said it runs but he didn't run it for long because it didn't show signs of water circulating. He said he thought it might need a water pump. I pulled the hood off and it looks like an air cooled motor to me. Could that be? I have no idea of the year or any numbers as of yet - didn't think of writing them down.

I finally wrote down the numbe

I finally wrote down the numbers for my 9 hp motor. Can someone figure out what I have and if there is a water pump in it? - It looks like the motor is air cooled but I had someone tell me it is water cooled.
Model: K900 5106A
S/N: 1420633
Type: XTV52309B

It has a water pump. But all i

It has a water pump. But all it does is keep the bottom seal and bearing from frying in the exhaust.-Helps keep the paint on the intermediate housing also. This was as far as the "air-cools" went engineering wise. Yours should have a real forward and reverse gear box/ solid state ignition and the "tin can" fuel pump. Almost all the parts interchange with the 7.5 of that design. Try the engine in a trash can full of water and see if you get a little spray (not much) from the exhaust relief ports going down the back of the motor.

"Well, I kept messing with it

"Well, I kept messing with it and got it running. The guy that had it before me had the shear pin in the wrong hole and it wouldn't engage the drive slot in the prop. I moved it to the outer hole and it works fine. I can't tell if the water is circulating or not. I might need to fill the trash can a little more - the exhaust was blowing water everywhere. I'll try again tomorrow. I would still like someone to e-mail me a manual if they have it. This is a 9 hp. (it looks like a Cleveland Browns inspired motor)
Model: K900 5106A
S/N: 1420633
Type: KTV52309B"

"OK, I tried it in a little mo

"OK, I tried it in a little more water. I put my hand near the hole and I got a tiny bit of water on my hand. After looking through the manual that William sent me,(thank you so much) I see that it should be checked while in gear, if I'm reading it right. If we ever get any decent weather in N.E. Ohio I'll try it on the water."

I have a Sea King 5 horse made by Clinton, 1971 I believe. Model #K500 1106A. Can anyone tell me what to gap the plug - the one in now is J8 - is there another one that matches up

Lou

Hi Graham .... Looks like you da man!

I have one of these Clintons ..... and
Yep, I'm here like many others trying to find out about this jewel.
Can you help?

Thanks ......

Model: J9 1000A
Serial: 103197

Or anybody that can help cypher that number for me ........... Thanks again

Re: "Does anyone know if you can s

"Does anyone know if you can still get parts for a Montgomery Ward Sea King 7hp. Model:K7002107A, serial #: 647946, type: 6027370R, manufactured by Clinton Engine Corporation? Please respond to: [email protected]"
Contact Clinton Engine Products Corporation 605 E Maple St. Maquoketa,IA 52060-3201 Phone 563-652-2411

I tried that number and just got a recording, this was just now, tuesday at 2:00 EST so they should be open. Anyone have a working number?

I have a 7.5 HP model k7515107A can anyone send me a Manual for this?

thanks so much! direct to greg AT houseguys.org
Or please post a download link
Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'm searching everywhere for a clutch for a clinton K700 (1973). Please before any one here gets rid of one of these motors...let me buy your clutch. I'd be willing to bet they used this same clutch on other models too. I've tried for days to contact clinton(cepco) but I'm getting no response.. Thanks for looking. Tom [email protected]

EDIT: I could also make use of any literature(manuals) on this motor. Please send to the email address provided above.

Last edited:
Hello forum. I purchased on Ebay a Clinton boat motor but cannot find any information on it. I would be much obliged if someone has any information or even a service manual for this. I am eager to use this on my boat because I have been using an electric motor that is not powerful enough to move my boat.

This has the following information on a metal tag:

Model # K7535106B
Serial # 1401141
Type XTV 52307 B

For ewhubby: your motor is a 78 or 79 K753. Made by Clinton for Wards. 7.5hp single cylinder. Try http://discount-marine-parts.com/index.html for manuals. For memphistex: you may find parts at discount-marine-parts or try the wanted ads on this site or at aomci.org. Another option would be to change the fittings to the more common OMC fittings.

I have just been given a Serial#582-6094, Model #62970 Sears Simpson 3.5 HP motor. I think I downloaded the proper manual but need more info on this if possible. I am assuming it is the (Canadian) Clinton...I am looking for a Primer pump and Line Assembly for it. Not sure how to go about changing it to an updated OMC fitting. Spark Plug type and fuel/oil ratio is a need to know too. This motor has great compression. Looking to get this thing in the water and running. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, This post will answer about 90 percent of the above posts:

Clinton Engine Products went out of business but....the guys that worked that bought the parts and opened their own business. It's called "Clinton Engine Products" Phone: 563-652-2411. They have manuals/parts etc for all these posts. They dont use email/internet and send parts by snail mail, but...they have your parts. Just call and leave a message. They will get back to you...eventually. I have been rebuilding my 3.5 hp Clinton. Hope this helps.

On a side note. I cant seem to get my ignition system firing. I bought a new coil, condensor, and points and now the spark is gone. These things dont have an adjustment on the stator, just the gap on the points. I have no idea what might be causing it. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Also "Fuel mix question"

These older 2 stroke outboards called for 1/4 pint of SAE 30 or 40 oil to one gallon. Problem with that is back then they didnt have detergented oil You can actually use 50:1 mix with todays 2 stroke oils.

Last edited:
Back