Logo

Clicking sound in a 1999 Mercruiser 4.3

staciadog

New member
I have a clicking sound in one of the engines and can't get the rpm's up. One person I talked to said that I have a cylinder out and need a new engine or rebuild it. I talked to one mechanic about it but he has not yet seen the boat. He told me it would be about $4500 -$5000 to put in a rebuilt block or I can have the existing one rebuilt but he does not recommend that. I don't know much about this and I don't have a lot of choices where I am to have the repairs done. I am just looking for another opinion. This may be way too vague of a description but it's a big investment not to ask some questions. Thanks for any thoughts you have.
 
I have a clicking sound in one of the engines and can't get the rpm's up. One person I talked to said that I have a cylinder out and need a new engine or rebuild it.

The clicking sound could be one oor a combination of a number of things. Make a short video of the engine idling and post it on YOUTUBE and post the link here. It could be a few minor issues or the worst.
 
Hard to tell what it is. The engine didn't look like it was shaking/missing. Sounded more like a pulley bearing needing grease. Does it quit w/the serpentine belt removed? Loose valve train maybe? Louder on port or starboard?
 
Last edited:
Use a broom handle to transmit the sound thru it and carefully hold it on various engine parts. That will tell you if it's internal.
 
Then the noise is coming from the alternator, power steering pump, water circulating pump, crank pulley.
 
Water shutter loose and banging around in the top of the "Y" pipe? Water shutter loose and banging around in the top of the "Y" pipe? Put your hand on the top of the pipe.
 
Last edited:
thanks so much for the ideas. I live an hour from the boat so I will get up there again and check this. Will the Water shutter being loose cause drop in HP? It only gets up to about 2800 rpm
 
Kinda sounds like a spark plug blew out. Check all of your plugs to make sure one hasn't blown the ceramic insulator out or vibrated out completely.
 
Back
Top