Logo

Chysler 360 Ignition Control Unit

Act Three

Contributing Member
Using the wiring diagram that Jeff posted below, I wonder that the "Control Unit" is for? The diagram isn't really clear as to its function as far as I can see except that it seems to be connected to the (-) side of the coil and to both sides (start voltage and run voltage) of the ballast resistor.

The color coding and wire sizes are exactly what I have on my 360s and this diagram will be very useful. Thanks for posting it.

Bill

Just wondering if you could be a little more expansive with your answer. My Chrysler 360s came to me with 12-volt coils... no ballast resistors, in fact no wiring for them. The engines have run fine for about 500 hours and I expect them to keep on going.

I converted my last two boat's SBC engines to electronic ignition without ballast resistors and never had a problem.

There can't be any black magic in that Ignition Control Unit. I just wonder what it is supposed to be doing.

Bill

The stock ECU is cheap ($30 at NAPA) and tends to work well. Going to a high performance, 45,000 volt coil and a ballast resistor (to prevent coil damage if the key is left on) makes for a very good, reliable ignition system.

Jeff

Back