Logo

Chrysler LM318 Runs Rough after Restart

BRF

Hi Guys,

I have a Chrysler LM318 that starts and runs fine for the first hour or so and then runs rough following a restart after a short stop.

Oil level, spark plug leads and plugs are OK and I can't see any water or contaminates in the fuel filter sight glass.

So I'm at a loss to understand why it runs ok and then doesn't after a short stop.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Hi makomark,

Thanks for your response.

No, it just stays constantly running rough, it feels like it's just not firing on all cylinders. At idle it's on the verge of stalling and has to be watched very closely.

Note that the ignition is an upgraded electronic ignition system so I hadn't anticipated that it could be the source of the problem.

Sticky carb float, leaky carb float needle... engine running extra rich ??? Ethanol wreaks havoc with "pre ethanol" neoprene carb needle tips.

Hi sandkicker,

Thanks, looking back through the maintenance log, the carb was last overhauled in March 18 so could be worth a check. We generally get 95 Ron fuel at marinas in Sydney so I don't think it contains any ethanol.

Hi sandkicker,

Thanks, looking back through the maintenance log, the carb was last overhauled in March 18 so could be worth a check. We generally get 95 Ron fuel at marinas in Sydney so I don't think it contains any ethanol.

.... and sometimes the floats develop leaks and sink..

Hi BRF,

LM318 1965

New Plugs
New Electronic ignition
New Coil.

Your issue sounds similar to my issue! Runs great at beginning. does not bog down and quit when engaged in gear at launch.....then after 15 to 20 minutes, start getting erratic RPM"s, idle rpms need to be higher than normal. The boat needs to cool down for awhile before she will fire up.....but still has erratic RPM and will quit when Velvet drive is engaged.

Have you resolved your issue?

Kevin

Folks,

I installed an electronic ignition, plug wires........still had issue. I then ordered a carb overhaul kit and rebuilt the carb.....This thing runs like a champ!
Amazing!!!! I have since put over 25 hours on her during 6 outings , and no issues. Very happy now!!!!

Kevin

Back