Logo

Chrysler A-225 overheated - now noisy

DianneB

I ran into a bit of a problem with my 1966 Lonestar/Volvo Penta 270 .... probably should have changed the pump impeller but I didn't .... When I launched the cooling system didn't prime and the engine somewhat overheated by the time I moved from the ramp to my slip, maybe 10 minutes and the gauge was reading about 240. When I was trying to get the pump to pick up, the exhaust was blowing backward thru the cooling system. I did get the cooling system going but now, shortly after start-up I get this rattling noise like loose tappets or something rattling in the drive train and the noise stays. Everything looks normal - no smoke from the exhaust, no blow-by from the crankcase vent so I don't think I buggered it badly but something isn't right.

I will try new spark plugs but what else could have been effected by overheating? I can't think of anything but a bad plug that would cause the noise and higher than normal vibration.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Well I found my problem(s). I just hope it is the LAST of the problems!

This engine has not run well since I bought the boat a year ago. Last winter I rebuilt the carb and put electronic ignition on it. After my first post I changed plugs (no difference) and when I went to set the tappets THREE valves and NO clearance at all (as in not being allowed to seat) - oh oh! Almost guaranteed to have burned the valves! :( I did a compression test and it confirmed my fears (125, 120, 90, 128, 63, 107 PSI) - I would expect 120 to 130 PSI across the board with no more than 10 PSI variation - so I will replace the head (and inspect the cylinders when the head is off). Since it doesn't smoke, burn oil, or have blow-by I am hoping that's all I need to do!

Back