Logo

chrysler 360 to chrysler 383

seacraft1

I have a Chrysler 360 in my seacraft 25 1972. which I just purchased as a project boat.The current 360 is locked up, previous owner said had water in block, non fresh water cooled. I found a 383 1969 fwc engine. would this mate with my current outdrive? I'm not sure of the model of outdrive it says Chrysler but looks identical to a Volvo.

I have a Chrysler 360 in my seacraft 25 1972. which I just purchased as a project boat.The current 360 is locked up, previous owner said had water in block, non fresh water cooled. I found a 383 1969 fwc engine. would this mate with my current outdrive? I'm not sure of the model of outdrive it says Chrysler but looks identical to a Volvo.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That depends,....

The 360 is a small block, 'n the 383 is a big block,....

Post pictures or something, We gotta know what the Drive is,...

Chrysler tagged the Volvo Penta drive with a Chrysler insignia.
If this looks at all like an AQ series Volvo Penta, then it is. It simply has the Chrysler name tag on it.

If the Chrysler 383 lends itself to a Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover, then it can be done.

You'll need a Borg Warner -slash- Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing in order to take this engine to the Volvo Penta transom shield.
The PDS adapter housing that you'll need, will look very similar to this upside down V/P adapter housing..................

(the six bolt pattern that you see here, is Borg Warner)

.... or this Holman Moody style adapter that sets the engine further forward by 3-1/8".

Borg Warner is Borg Warner all day long.

BTW, you'll be on your own regarding an exhaust system.
But that too should not be very difficult if the 383 was used in a Marine application.

Last edited:
Here's how Volvo Penta took the 335 series Ford (5.0L and 5.8L) engine to the transom shield.

Here's another Borg Warner pattern 3-1/8" extended PDS adapter for the 335 series Ford.... either Donzi, Holman Moody or possibly Eaton.

Same thing here, but using Volvo Penta's PDS adapter housing (no 3-1/8" forward shift).

Here's a later model 1 pc AQ series flywheel cover for the SBC or BBC engines.

Here is Volvo Penta's own PDS adapter housing using the Borg Warner bolt pattern.
This places the engine identically to that of the 1 pc flywheel covers (no 3-1/8" forward shift).

The above PDS adapter also works with the Chrysler, Ford and Chevy Borg Warner flywheel covers.

mRV6MenPbSpua4Cwge9hmVQ.jpg

( GM unit here, but minus the I/B starter motor location)

images

Hope that helps you see how the Chrysler 383 can be mated to the AQ series drives.

BTW, depending on your needs, hull balance, engine bay space, exhaust system, etc......., you can use Volvo Penta's PDS adapter (no 3-1/8" forward shift), or the extended Holman Moody/Donzi/Eaton etc, PDS adatper housing w/ the 3-1/8" forward shift.

Last edited:
awesome! now to find out what I have. Are these adapters readily available? Thanks again.
I'd first learn if there is a Marine Exhaust system available for the Chrysler 383.

Yes, these are available if you're willing to search e-Bay or ???? on a regular basis.

I see some sellers offering these minus the PDS (primary drive shaft).
Don't get yourself into one of these scenarios.

With exception to Volvo Penta's own PDS adapter housing, the PDS is often proprietary to the alumimum housing.
A good housing will be worthless without the PDS.

360 and 383 are completely different. Nothing is the same on the base engine. Why not just find another 360?

If this was our decision to make..... I'd have to agree with you. It would be much more simple.

However, the OP does say and ask: "I found a 383 1969 fwc engine. would this mate with my current outdrive?"

Has nothing at all to do with "our decision". The question is posed only to enlighten as I feel that's what these forums are for. Some folks don't know the 383 block is longer, bolt pattern for flywheel cover is different, no parts interchange except maybe the distributor cap and a couple plug wires. Possibly the oil drain plug.

RicardoMarine said:
If this was our decision to make..... I'd have to agree with you. It would be much more simple.
However, the OP does say and ask: "I found a 383 1969 fwc engine. would this mate with my current outdrive?"
  1. Has nothing at all to do with "our decision".

2. The question is posed only to enlighten as I feel that's what these forums are for. Some folks don't know the 383 block is longer, bolt pattern for flywheel cover is different, no parts interchange except maybe the distributor cap and a couple plug wires. Possibly the oil drain plug.

1. I fully agree. I made that fairly clear in my previous post!

2. Again... I fully agree, and you've given him some good info and food for thought.

I'd be willing to bet that seacraft1 (the OP here) knew from the Get-Go that going back in with a 360 would be much less complicated.
But since this is not his question, I offered him some info as to the 383 adaptation.
It may very well be a lousy choice and with many hard to find parts, etc...... I don't know.

And Dave, I don't disagree with you...... I'd be doing another 360 also, unless there was a tremendous advantage to the 383.

Last edited:
Back