Logo

Checking spark/stator/timing base question....

dentpusher

I have a '99 Johnson 200 Venom that I seem to be having electrical issues. I believe I am down on spark or timing. A timing light shows appropriate timing at least for cylinder 1 (Top Starboard side). History, I have owned this motor for 20+ years and other than minor/occasional "lean sneeze" I have only had to do a couple repairs. New stator from overcharging about 15 years ago, I put carb kits in it 2 years ago, last year had a miss that was coil #1 broken filament at plug terminal. But starting fall of last year it will run just running bad, plugs seem to be getting fuel and must be because I ran it some without it blowing up (out of frustration).

So, I want to check out the whole electrical system from flywheel & timer base to coils. I bought an OE manual. I was going to start with charge coil test (Step 3).

Questions:
1)The manual suggests using a Stevens 77 meter, is this necessary or will my digital meter with Min/Max lock work?
2)The manual says "set volt meter to POS and 500" but does not specify AC/DC which is it? (I'm guessing AC since stator puts out AC signal)

3) When/IF I get done with repairs, I want to test under load safely and on a speed restricted lake. I have been looking into "test wheels". Will this apply load to the motor to allow checking of timing advance and other trouble shooting without having to be moving and how do they attach? Like a prop?

Thanks in advance.

A test propeller is a unit that replaces the prop.-----Puts full load on the motor for testing purposes.----Must be used in a properly sized test tank or boat on the trailer or at the dock.

Thanks, I understood the principle of how they work but do you know how they attach? I see quite a few on Ebay but am afraid they are mostly for little motors. I read something/somewhere about them being "pinned in place".

A test propeller is a unit that replaces the prop.-----Puts full load on the motor for testing purposes.----Must be used in a properly sized test tank or boat on the trailer or at the dock.

Thanks, I understood the principle of how they work but do you know how they attach? I see quite a few on Ebay but am afraid they are mostly for little motors. I read something/somewhere about them being "pinned in place". I was planning to use with boat on trailer or floating in small local lake that allows "no wake" motoring.

Last edited:
???----You remove the prop.------Put the test prop on.-----Put the washer and nut on .---Then you are ready for the test run !

Back