Logo

Charging capacity of Johnson 20 amp alternator

seewll

"I am trying to find out if a

"I am trying to find out if a 20 amp alternator on my Jhonson 115 2 stroke is enough to recharge two 875 marine cranking amp batteries? I am wanting to add another and install a ACR plus selector switch but not sure how to tell if motor alternator will do the job, One will be for the motor the other for the house. Thanks. If this question should be in another forum please advise me on where to post. Thanks to all!"

"I would suggest You to browse

"I would suggest You to browse back and read different threads about this matter. It may technically be sufficent, but some costly 'side effects' might come up like melted stator, burned out regulator etc."

"Morten,I will do a search, wh

"Morten,I will do a search, what would you recomend I use in the search, battery? When you mean side effects, from what, the alternator not being able to charge the batteries? I want to make sure that I have enough battery for the boat and to be able to run electronics, with out loosing the start capacity for the motor. I am new to this so I have a million questions but will not bog you down. I have been searching the net for a while trying to find battery sizing information, with no real luck. Thanks, any other info is greatly appreciated."

"Morten thanks I will look at

"Morten thanks I will look at it, I have been looking all over the net trying to find some good information, I hope this will help. I didnt mention that is says it is a 20 amp regulated alternator, if that means anything to you. One question I have been wanting to ask, Where are you located, I am in North Carolina,Thanks for your effort in helping me!"

"Thanks for the link again, I

"Thanks for the link again, I think I will get my answer soon. Malaysia, I would have suspected else where, like Germany of someplace like that, I would like to see other countries one day, but will have to settle for NC, for now. LOL. Have a great one, it is past my bed time. I emailed reevesJ32 the omc person to see if he has any specs for the what battery to use, I hope he will respond, so I can return the two batteries I just purchased, I have not used them yet, as I am waiting on the ACR relay to come in. Thanks again!"

Back