Logo

changing out 40hp

schoo

Contributing Member
i'm changing my 61 power head to my 63 selectric shift power head do you need to use the 61's throttle advance mechanism because of the shift lockout or is the throttle advance the same. i havn't taken the flywheels off yet to see but look the same

thanks for the info. i think also that they are the same but the 63 selectric trans has the micro switch(under the flywheel) and the 61 does not have the switch, but has the lockout. evinrude left all the bolt holes so can switch out what ever works just don't whats best, take off the micro switch or not, can put the lockout on no problem

i'm putting the 63 on the 61 bottom end the 61 isnot electromagnetic so no i don't need a generator and that my 63 power head looks like a recent rebuild(fresh paint,hoses,fuel pump,ect)but i may need a wire harness later
thanks

got the change out finished and starts and idles at a high speed in the barrel not so at a slow speed so got some leaded gas and took it to the lake. does not run good at all misses no back fires except when starting, but it spirts fuel out a hole next to the low speed valve?? could that be reed problem?? if so how to see? will pull the carb and get a kit!! any ideas--?

got the carb kit and cleaned carb ready to put back togeather the low seed needle is bent out side of the packing nut so i think the will be ok the float looked ok but will replace. the old gasket at the bowl did not look right a hole was partly covered mite have been the problem. racer should i use the hook that holds the needle to the float stem?? their wasn't one there befor?

thanks,the hi speed is fixed on both my engines i tryed every screwdriver i have(mybe it x-threaded) but its bras so just clean it good,,,,,, i do need to change the t-stat rather the plastic houseing for it is brokin on the side chipped out about the size of a dime the tstat opens at about 140 but water can go around it a little anyway. years ago i had a 57 35 hp johnson that had ajustable hi speed these 40hp's seam to run a little richer than that engine? is that just a change the bowl? for ajustable hi

thanks racer i did install the clip. its raining today if it stops i'll try to start it
the engine looks nice but looks don't mean s--- its how it runs!!!

did ck com 75 each but the engine had not been ran insome years;
set points & spark ck ok
syncronize timing advance/carb
did not take head off
engine was free!!! now have $100 or so in it. the old engine i paid
$400 20 years ago it may become a parts engine

yea thats what i find also on fuel use, still looking for a oil i like wright now i have valvoline multi-purpose with 100 low lead
32 to 0ne
it's still raining 35 degrees here today would like to ck out the carb

Back