Logo

CAVITATION

thawk1

I have a 40 hp Honda that has

I have a 40 hp Honda that has just started to caviate when I try to bring the boat up on plane. The prop has been tested and the hub is good. Is there something in the lower unit that might cause this. This is a new problem as the boat and motor had been working fine.

"If you finally get the boat u

"If you finally get the boat up on plane, is it okay then? Have you added anything to the exterior of the hull?

Is the boat trailered or stored in the water? If trailered, possibly the rollers are not adjusted properly and the boat has developed a "hook". If water kept, check the hull for marine life."

The boat will not come up on p

The boat will not come up on plane. caviates to much. the boat is trailered and well supported. Did add small bolt through bottom of hull toward stern about 7/16 head.

"On a related cavitating avent

"On a related cavitating avent...I have a relatively new Honda 20hp that planes well through light chop until it pounds a little harder than it had been off of a particularly severe wave. It then begins cavitating, I can tell by the noise it is making, while still maintaining a plane. Of course I don't leave it on a plane while it is cavitating and I have to almost go dead in the water in neutral until I can again power back up onto a plane. This is really annoying. I've taken to zig zagging through the chop, moving through the troughs and turning in between wave crests in order to avoid any pounding at all. Is this usual?"

Back